Friday, December 28, 2012

The Country I Would Choose To Live In

Despite my under-travelled condition and lack of experience or first-hand knowledge of other countries, I still choose the good ol' United States of America. While others may be better off economically, or have some freedoms we do not, or have year-round climates where only the very rich can afford to own homes, the U.S. has such a diverse culture and expansively fascinating landscape, combined with freedoms so many others simply do not have, that I find it difficult to fathom why anyone would forfeit their citizenship here to live elsewhere permanently. To love other lands or to be captivated by the beauty of other cultures and peoples is certainly understandable. To read and sing the eight passionate verses of "America the Beautiful" with any degree of identity and still want to leave here is to me a complete mystery.

No comments:

Post a Comment